Sunday 26 October 2014

Creating Memories

Things have taken a turn here at Sock Creations HQ, and as demand for sock creatures has slowed down, I've realised that my business needed to move in a new direction.

After 'umming' and 'ahhing' for quite some time, I decided that I'd have a go at creating a memory keepsake bear. Ok, so I'm not the first person to do this, and there's certainly a lot more people doing it than there are sock creatures, but when I started my market research, I found several really good reasons to give this a go myself.

Firstly, I should say that there are some amazing memory keepsake bears available out there, but then I discovered some not so amazing examples. I appreciate this is just my opinion though, and also discovered that there are plenty of people lining up to buy these 'not so great' designs. Secondly a lot of the companies making the really good memory keepsake bears, either charge a lot of money for them, or have a really long waiting list, with some customers waiting more than a year to have their keepsake created. While they can't do anything about being popular, the prices of some of these, I felt was extortionate. Yes, they're lovingly handmade, but at the same time, the majority of materials are provided by the customer. So having learnt that there's definitely room in the market for another memory keepsake bear maker, I decided to have a go. I thought if I can offer a great looking memory keepsake, for an equally great price, then I might be on to something.

Starting at £23, I can create memory keepsake bears, lions, monkeys, camels and bunnies. The price includes postage. All items are posted using recorded delivery, and can be tracked.

At this point, you might be wondering, 'What is a memory keepsake bear?' Well, I'll tell you. A memory keepsake bear is a bear (other animals also available) made from your babies or children's outgrown sleepsuits, or other clothing, therefore creating something you can keep and display, that provides a great memory of their early days. While most people choose to use those tiny sleepsuits from the early days, other clothing can be used, that bring back special memories to you. Maybe sleepsuits, or clothing that was bought as a special present, or bought from a special place. Or perhaps their first school uniform. Remembrance bears can also be created to remember those loved ones who are sadly no longer with us.

Over the next couple of weeks, I'll be sharing, here on this blog, the different animals I have created so far, some stories behind some of my memory keepsakes, and more insight into the transformation process. For now, I'll leave you with a few photos of recent work.




More examples can be found on my Facebook page www.facebook.com/sockcreationsuk

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...